Exercise for Chronic Respiratory Diseases Short course
Exercise for Chronic Respiratory Diseases
If you're a qualified Exercise Referral instructor or health care professional, this short course will help you build on your skills and experience to provide exercise and physical activity advice for people with a chronic lung disease.
On this Exercise for Chronic Respiratory Diseases short course, you'll get an understanding of how physical activity and medication can affect a patient with chronic lung disease. You'll learn advanced respiratory exercise and health physiology, which underpins the pulmonary rehabilitation exercise instructor certification from the British Lung Foundation that you'll get as part of your studies.
Once you've completed this course, you'll be able to design, implement and evaluate physical activity programmes for people with pulmonary diseases and disorders. You'll also be aware of practices that are safe, effective, based on current evidence and in accordance with the relevant clinical guidelines and national service frameworks.
- Mode of study: Blended direct contact and independent study
- Duration: 48 scheduled, 9 placement sessions and independent learning
- Start and end dates: September 2018
- Credits: 30
- £1300 UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- £2200 International Students (may be subject to annual increase)
What you'll experience
On this short course you'll cover:
- an understanding of the disease process and how it is managed
- physical activity and how this may influence the disease process
- the positive and negative aspects of physical activity on risk factors in COPD and related disorders
- risks to the individual with respiratory disease during exercise
- the potential effects of medications on exercise performance
- an understanding of the motivation and communication strategies for improving health behaviour in patients
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed in two ways:
- a professional practice portfolio, including a written case study of a virtual patient, a practical assessment of exercise tailoring and group management, and a multiple-choice theory test
- a written assessment
The course includes a course manual, an online learning environment and teaching materials.
When you've successfully completed the course, you'll receive certification as a Chronic Respiratory Disease Exercise Specialist.
This course is taught by lecturers and exercise specialists with experience in exercise and respratory function, and you'll learn through pre-course online lectures, lecture-seminars and practical sessions.
Teaching sessions take place on Thursdays and Fridays for three weeks with attendance on one Saturday.
To be eligible for this course, you'll need:
- a 2:1 honour degree, or equivalent, in a relevant subject
- a DBS check
- occupational health and statutory and mandatory training framework level 7
- English proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 7.0, with no component score below 6.5
To be awarded the stroke specialist exercise instructor award, you'll need an Exercise Referral Instructor qualification.
How to book
Get in touch
Find out more about this course by contacting us below.