This is a new course and we’re currently finalising the detailed information for this page. You can still see entry requirements and apply. You can also see information about what modules you'll study and course costs.
Location – Isle of Wight College
This course takes place at Isle of Wight College. While studying at Isle of Wight College, you can access our student support services and community including study support, the Students’ Union and our library's online resources.
Qualifications or experience
- An A level in Computing or related subject, or Level 3 vocational equivalent (diploma/extended diploma), or equivalent industry experience in a relevant field.
- Applicants will be invited to attend an interview, to which you should bring a portfolio/e-portfolio of recent work. This interview will include an admissions test and a tour of the facilities.
English language requirements
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
If you don't meet the English language requirements yet, you can achieve the level you need by successfully completing a pre-sessional English programme before you start your course.
All our courses go through a rigorous approval process to make sure they’re of the highest quality. This includes a review by a panel of experts, made up of academic staff and an external academic or professional with specialist knowledge.
This course is in the final stages of this process and is open for applications. If any details of the course or its approval status change after you apply, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and will be here to discuss your options with you.
What you'll study on this HND Computing course
Core modules in this year include:
- Database Design and Development
- Computer Systems Architecture
- Professional Practice
- Website Design and Development
There are no optional modules this year.
Core modules in this year include:
- Computing Research Project
- Business Intelligence
- Operating Systems
- Advanced Programming
- Database Management Systems
- User Experience and Interface Design
- Games Development
There are no optional modules in this year.
Changes to course content
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry and some optional modules may not run every year. If a module doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative module.
Tuition fees (2020 start)
- UK/EU/Channel Island and Isle of Man students: £6,165
Additional course costs
These course-related costs aren’t included in the tuition fees. So you’ll need to budget for them when you plan your spending.
Our accommodation section shows your accommodation options and highlights how much it costs to live in Portsmouth.
You’ll study up to 8 modules a year. You may have to read several recommended books or textbooks for each unit.
You can borrow most of these from the Library. If you buy these, they may cost up to £60 each.
We recommend that you budget £75 a year for photocopying, memory sticks, DVDs and CDs, printing charges, binding and specialist printing.
If your final year includes a major project, there could be cost for transport or accommodation related to your research activities. The amount will depend on the project you choose.
- Full-time study (2 years)