Whether you're already working in the industry or preparing to start your marketing career, our MA Marketing degree course will give you the practical experience and theoretical expertise you need to succeed.
On this course, you'll sharpen your marketing skills, improve your understanding of marketing principles and theories, and study effective marketing practice. You'll take your previous studies and experience to postgraduate level and graduate with a Master's degree that will help you stand out from the competition.
And you'll gain expert knowledge and provable skills that'll help you make ambitious moves in your career – whether you're starting out or preparing for more senior roles.
What you'll experience
On this course you'll:
- Learn from expert staff and visiting speakers, all with professional experience in marketing
- Explore marketing concepts and practices, marketing analysis and decision-making, and strategic marketing management
- Unpack contemporary issues, such as digital marketing and the impact of social media, sustainability, crisis management and the relationship between marketing and sales
- Apply live case studies to your coursework through our links with the industry
- Work in teams on the Market2win simulation software, and hone your strategic decision-making
- Develop your skills in critical appraisal, team working, debating, writing, research and presentation
- Complete your own research project on a subject of your choice
- Use the extensive facilities available in our library, including 24/7 access to electronic resources such as ejournals and newspapers
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your skills to work in the marketing industry.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
Marketing is a highly competitive field, but when you graduate from our MA Marketing degree course, you'll have the skills, credibility and confidence to stand out from the crowd and take on ambitious roles.
You'll be qualified to work in fields such as advertising, financial services, airlines, manufacturing, textiles and market research.
Other career opportunities include:
- Business development
- Direct marketing
- Digital marketing
- Marketing communications
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is the leading professional body for marketers worldwide, and works to maintain professional standards and improve the skills of marketing practitioners. Students at the University of Portsmouth have the opportunity to gain professional qualifications through the CIM Graduate Gateway.
If you graduate with a mark of 50% or more, you'll be exempt from the Strategic Marketing module in the CIM Level 6 Professional Diploma in Marketing for a period of three years following graduation. CIM qualifications are highly sought-after by employers, and alongside our own degrees give you the best opportunity for a successful marketing career.
- A second-class honours degree, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications, such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing Diploma in Marketing
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0
Tuition fees (2019 start)
UK/EU/Channel Islands and Isle of Man students
- Full-time: £8,700
- Part-time: £2,900 (may be subject to annual increase)
- Full-time: £14,700
- Part-time: £4,900 (may be subject to annual increase)
Additional course costs
These course-related costs aren’t included in the tuition fees. So you’ll need to budget for them when you plan your spending.
Our accommodation section shows your accommodation options and highlights how much it costs to live in Portsmouth.
You’ll study up to 6 units a year. You may have to read several recommended books or textbooks for each unit.
You can borrow most of these from the Library. If you buy these, they may cost up to £60 each.
We recommend that you budget £75 a year for photocopying, memory sticks, DVDs and CDs, printing charges, binding and specialist printing.
If your final year includes a major project, there could be cost for transport or accommodation related to your research activities. The amount will depend on the project you choose.
What you'll study
Each unit on this course is worth a certain number of credits.
In each year, you need to study units worth a total of 180 credits. For example, 4 units worth 30 credits and 1 unit worth 60 credits.
Core units include:
- Essentials of Marketing
- Marketing Analysis and Decision
- Contemporary Issues in Marketing
- Strategic Marketing Management
- Dissertation or Critical Marketing Study
Changes to course content
We use the best and most current research and professional practice alongside feedback from our students to make sure course content is relevant to your future career or further studies.
Therefore, some course content may change over time to reflect changes in the discipline or industry and some optional units may not run every year. If a unit doesn’t run, we’ll let you know as soon as possible and help you choose an alternative unit.
As well as support by faculty teaching staff and your personal tutor, you can use the University’s Academic Skills Unit (ASK).
ASK provides one-to-one support in areas such as:
- academic writing
- note taking
- time management
- critical thinking
- presentation skills
- working in groups
- revision, memory and exam techniques
Teaching on this course includes:
- case study analysis
- student presentations
- independent study
How you're assessed
You'll be assessed through
- group work
- case study analysis and reports
Admissions terms and conditionsWhen you accept an offer to study with us, you also agree to our terms and conditions as well as the University’s policies, rules and regulations. You should read and consider these before you apply.
Apply for this course using our online application form.
If you're from outside of the UK, you can apply directly to us or you can get an agent to help with your application. Check your country page for details of agents in your region. To find out what to include in your application, head to the how to apply page of our international students section.
- Subject area
- Business management and marketing