Professional Design Practice MA
MA Professional Design Practice
Sorry, this course has closed to new applicants. We're not updating the course information on this page – it's for reference only.
If you've studied Interior Design, Interior Architecture, Architecture or a related spatial-design discipline and want a postgraduate course that will develop your professional knowledge and skills, our MA Professional Design Practice degree course will help you achieve your goal.
On this course, you'll unpack principles of entrepreneurship and business, improve your practice management and project leadership skills, and learn how to set up and run your own design practice.
You'll graduate with a better understanding of ethical, professional design practice and procedures, and a practice or sector specialism which will set you apart from the competition.
What you'll experience
On this course, you'll:
- Develop a sector or practice specialism such as healthcare, sustainable retail design or project leadership
- Get to grips with professional practice and project management for architectural design
- Work on live projects with real clients, through our Project Office, an in-house architectural practice
- Learn everything you need to know about professional design practice, from project management, practice management and topical research, to materials and products, professional experience and practice, and research methods
- Improve your practical skills in our workshops featuring facilities for working with resin, plastics and metals to screen printing, moulding and casting
- Use our advanced architectural computing facilities, including Macs and PCs with the latest design software
- Complete your own personal project on a topic of your choice, related to professional design practice
Work experience and career planning
We'll help you to identify internships, voluntary roles and opportunities that will complement your studies.
When you finish the course, our Careers and Employability service can help you find a job that puts your design skills to work.
After you leave the University, you can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Careers and opportunities
You'll graduate from the MA Professional Design Practice degree course with the skills you need to set up, promote and run your own successful design practice. You'll also have transferable skills including ethical practice, practice management, project management and leadership, business enterprise, professional communications and research, which will help to further your career.
Career opportunities include:
- Architectural Practice
- Interior design practice
- Commercial design
- Retail design
- Exhibition design
- PhD study
- Project management
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Sorry, this course has closed to new applicants.