If you’re from Bangladesh and interested in studying in the UK, the University of Portsmouth is the perfect place to fulfil your ambitions. And if you’re ready to take the next step, we’re ready to help you get here.
On this page, you'll find information about where you can meet us in your region, what you need to do to apply for a course with us and contact details for our people in your area.
Entry requirements for students from Bangladesh
If you're joining us from Bangladesh, the entry requirements you need to meet will depend on the course you want to study.
We consider all applications we receive. However, to make sure you get the most out of your time studying with us and have the best chance of applying successfully, we recommend the following minimum qualifications:
If you have the Year 12 - Higher Secondary School Certificate or below, a Polytechnic Diploma, or 2 year degrees (Pass Degrees), you'll usually need to do a foundation year before doing an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree.
We recommend you take a foundation course at our associated college International College Portsmouth (ICP).
If you've completed the Year 12 - Higher Secondary School Certificate or below, a Polytechnic Diploma, or 2 year degrees (Pass degrees) plus one year at a recognised university in Bangladesh, we'll consider you for admission onto an undergraduate course such as a Bachelor's degree. You must have studied relevant subjects and achieved strong grades.
If you don't have these qualifications, you can apply with:
- Please check your specific course page to find the exact number of points needed. Your A level grades should equal or exceed the total points required. You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to work out your total points.
- Some courses will require you to have studied specific subjects at A level. For example, to study a science course you will usually need to have achieved passing grades in scientific subjects at A level.
- A level points: A* = 56 A = 48 B = 40 C = 32 D = 24.
- Most courses will require between 24 and 31 points in the International Baccalaureate (IB), depending on the degree you apply for.
You can also apply for Year 1 undergraduate degree entry with the following qualifications:
- Higher National Diploma (HND)
- LLB (Hons) considered comparable
- Diploma in Engineering (3 years)
- 3 Year Degree (honours)
- BA degrees in Arts, Science and Commerce
- Professional Degrees
For Year 2/3 entry, you will need:
- Some professional degrees
- Bachelor of Science (Engineering)
- Master of Arts, Science and Commerce
For entry to our postgraduate Master's programmes, you'll usually need to have one of the following from a recognised Higher Education institution:
- four-year bachelor degree from a UGC (University Grants Commission) approved university
- Master of Engineering and Master of Science (Engineering) with over 60%
Typical minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements:
- From 2.75 on a scale of 1-4
- From 7 on a scale of 1-10
If you don't meet the postgraduate entry requirements, you can do a pre-Master's programme at International College Portsmouth (ICP) for many of our courses.
We'll consider you for a PhD if you have a good Master’s degree and submit a research proposal.
English language requirements
When you join us, it’s important that you can speak and understand English to the level that your course requires. The specific English language requirements will be on your chosen course page.We accept IELTS, IGCSE and several other certificates, but don’t worry if you're currently short of the standard required – we offer English Language Programmes that will get you to the necessary level.
What to do next
Our Global Officers are experts in helping students from Bangladesh, like you, to apply to join us. Whatever you want to know, just ask.
Scholarships and Bursaries
As a student from Bangladesh, you can apply for various scholarships and bursaries, including the International Alumni Referral Award, PassPort Bursary and Chevening Scholarship. You can find more information about these on our funding page.
Representatives and agents
If you want to learn more about studying with us or you want help with your application, you can contact our Bangladeshi Regional Adviser at email@example.com
Alternatively, you can contact one of our other representatives in Bangladesh:
Agents in Bangladesh
TCL Global Office - UoP Bangladesh Regional Adviser
LilyRin Tower (8th floor), next to Shimanto Square
CFS - Center For Foreign Studies
IDP Education Bangladesh Pvt. Ltd.