Childhood, youth studies and education courses
Browse courses by subject
Our courses in childhood, youth studies and education are for you if you're interested in helping shape how children and young people learn, grow and make sense of the world.
Studying this subject area will set you up for a teaching career and other professions that deal with children and youth such as education psychology, social work and other specialist services supporting families. Whether you have experience in childcare and education or are just starting out, we'll help you gain the knowledge and expertise to succeed.
Why study Childhood, Youth Studies and Education?
- We've been training teachers for decades through some of the best rated courses in the country. Our Primary route into teacher training is rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted.
- Depending on the type of teaching you want to get into, we offer different routes to Qualified Teacher Status and courses to suit your situation – whether you're already teaching, just finished college, or want to study alongside your job.
- We work closely with Portsmouth Teaching School Alliance (PTSA) to support School Direct Primary teacher training, both in the city and on the Isle of Wight – with an impressive 100% employment record over the past 5 years.
- We have many links with local schools to help you find a perfect placement or role. Over 90% of our PGCE students become full-time Primary school teachers.
- The skills you'll learn will help you in other careers that require abilities such as personal tutoring, counselling or making a difference in children, young people and families' lives.
I went on to study for my PGCE and my degree equipped me for this really well. I was lucky enough to go on to land a job teaching Year One in an amazing school!
Undergraduate Childhood, Youth studies and Education courses (2019/20 entry)
- Childhood and Youth Studies BA (Hons)
- Childhood and Youth Studies with Criminology BA (Hons)
- Childhood and Youth Studies with Psychology BA (Hons)
- Early Childhood Studies BA (Hons)
- Early Childhood Studies with Psychology BA (Hons)
- Early Years Care and Education FdA
- Education Studies (Top-up) BA (Hons)
- Further Education and Training CertEd
- Learning Support FdA
Postgraduate Childhood, Youth studies and Education courses (2019/20 entry)
- Child Forensic Studies: Psychology and Law MSc
- Early Years Initial Teacher Training GradCert
- Education Studies MA
- Educational Leadership and Management (Distance Learning) (Degree Apprenticeship) MSc
- Educational Leadership and Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Further Education and Training PGCE
- Humanities and Social Sciences MRes
- Masters of French Language Double Diploma PGCE
- PGCE courses PGCE
- Education and Sociology MPhil and PhD
Still deciding what to study at university? Search for a degree from our list of subject areas to find the right course for you.
Portsmouth is a great place to live, whatever you decide to study. Hear from recent grads about why Portsmouth is one of the best student cities in the UK.