Male student smiling at friend in University cafe

Personal support and funding

Find out what's available if you're a care leaver

If you've spent time in care, you might find it more difficult to get the support and funding you need to come to uni.

We can give you extra support with your application and throughout your time here if you're a care leaver. If you're eligible, you'll get:

  • a £1,700 bursary per year that you don't need to pay back
  • a personal support finance advisor, who'll support and guide you on your funding needs when you're at university
  • a guaranteed place in halls of residence for 3 years (including during summer, Christmas and Easter breaks)


You can get this help and support if the following applies to you:

  • you've spent at least 13 weeks in care, some of which was during your teens
  • you're currently leaving the care system (within the last 12 months) or you're defined as a 'former relevant child pursuing education' under 25 years old

Free place in halls

You could also get a free place in halls for 3 years with the Unite Scholarship. There are a limited number of these scholarships, so not everyone who’s eligible will get it.

Getting this support

To find out more about the support you can get if you've spent time in care, contact the Student Finance team or email

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close